THE CHENARD FAMILY.
Ernest Chenard is the child of a very old French family that settled and has remained in the town of Phitiviers for four centuries. They were the lords of La
Motte-Guignonville. From the middle of the 17th century to the middle of the 18th century, they were owning a workshop of tin potery. Jean-Baptiste, born in 1743 became prosecutor, and his son, Jean-Lancelot who was
born in 1769 followed did the same as his father. Alas, the young man turned on his twenties when the Revolution started, which caused problems to his projects. Les Chenards were nobles during the Ancien regime and
got dispossessed of everything they had. Jean-Lancelot opened a spices shop in Pithivier during the Restauration, and settles in Orléans to become notary purchaser.
His son, Jean-Baptiste, who was born in 1795, worked in the field of finance and had 6 children. Charles, his first son, who was born in 1824, decided to go “up” to Paris, to
try his luck in this big city. Charles worked in the railroad company called “Chemin de fer de l’Ouest” and had a son, Ernest Charles Marie, on July 7th of 1861, with his wife Louise Ernestine Anjard.
Once he finished his studies, Ernest, very drawn to mechanics, became designer at the “Chemin de fer de l’Ouest” thanks to his father. This job situation did not last very long. He
decided to do something else.
He got married with Eugénie Adélaide Dauphin on September 11th 1887, and funded a bicycle company in 1888. This soon grew a nice reputation and the young creator was then thinking
about the future he could make for his fabrications. The tricycles began to interest him, so he tried to motorize them. His big invention consists in attaching a patented front-axel on any tricycle, transforming it
into a quadricycle. His project was realizable this caught the eyes of the English.